Alternative Energy

This website is a forum for sharing ideas on alternative energy.

Wednesday, May 02, 2007

I was reading an article in People about one family that had "gone green." They grew their own food and composting their garbage. One of the more telling parts of the article was when the woman in the family said she gave up paper towels. I had to think a bit about how many trees and how much energy is consumed when we use everyday products like paper plates and paper towels. If each of us just used cloth towels and regular plates, instead of the paper versions, just think of how much energy would be saved--not to mention all of the trees. I find that I use paper towels out of habit more than anything and that I could do much better with reducing my paper consumption. I pretty much refuse at this point to use paper or styrofoam plates at home, so I know I can work on the paper towels. I think it is time for a national movement of people to reduce paper consumption at home. Not only will we have less waste in our landfills but also, we will kill fewer trees. This is one of those small steps, similar to changing lightbulbs to fluorescent from incandescent, that we can all make to conserve fossil fuels and trees.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home